Home Warranty Checklist: What You Need Before Making Your Choice
Every savvy homeowner needs to know how to choose a home warranty they can rely on
Home warranty companies offer different plans with different kinds of coverage at different price levels. For this reason, it’s important to approach your search and decision-making process with a clear check-list of your needs and what to look for.
This will also protect your from paying for a home warranty that won’t actually cover your claim when something goes wrong.
To help you out, we’ve put together a check-list that will make the process easier and more-straightforward:
1. Before committing to a company and a plan, decide exactly which systems (e.g. heating, AC) and appliances (e.g. washer, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc.) you want to cover. That will not only help you in choosing a coverage plan but also in choosing a home warranty provider
2. Determine your budget. Basic plans that only cover a few major appliances and your heating system, for example, cost less than comprehensive plans with extensive add-ons.
3. Look at service fees. While the cost of repair or replacement will be covered, you still have to pay a service fee or a deductible. Some companies have a fixed fee and some offer a fee in several different ranges to choose from. A more expensive fee means a cheaper overall plan, and vice versa.
4. Ask your neighbors who have a home warranty and read online reviews. This will give you a first-hand account of what it’s like filing a claim and how reliable the company you’re considering is.
5. Get a free online quote. Make sure you get a quote from at least 3 home warranty providers so that you can compare and make the right decision for you and your family.
Based on our research, these are the top home warranty companies that have the clearest terms, the most competitive pricing and the most reliable customer service:
Best for: Customer reviews
- Fast online claim filing
- Same day dispatch system
- No home inspection required
- This week’s offer: First month FREE
Get A FREE Quote Now
Best for: Home warranty on a budget
- Minimal service exclusions
- Plans cover older appliances
- Unlimited service calls annually
- 24/7 support
- National network of over 15,000 licensed pros
- 45 years of experience